August 18, 2026 - Tuesday
We probably should have gone to Wild & Free today, but I really didn't want to deal with mud, so we skipped. Instead, we had what will probably be our last visit to the pool for 2026 and also went to the library. We had a really nice afternoon together. Everyone was getting along and I got to read. It was perfect. And not too hot! So nice!
In the evening, I picked Kylienne up, and she joined me at book club for the first time. We had read a book about a "trad-wife", which was a term I had never heard before. I asked around the table and literally everyone else knew what it was besides me. So, that was a little embarrassing, but also a little like, sorry I'm not always on social media, guys. The book was called Yesteryear. Rachel quipped that a trad-wife was me, basically. I felt a little insulted, looking at the Wikipedia definition, but took it in stride and we discussed the book. Kylienne ended up asking me, basically, how I felt about the Christian representation in the book and I told her it was absolutely unbelievable and that the main character must have a very broken relationship with Jesus Christ to be that hateful and angry, after claiming to be in a relationship with Him for her entire life. She seemed really confused and pushed me to tell her how that could possibly be so, seeming to imply that it seemed like a fair representation to her. We discussed it for probably five minutes and, while I feel confident that she understood my point, I have felt off since. It just makes me so sad that people think that Christians are actually filled with vitriol and undeserved self-righteousness, or maybe it makes me sad that they could be right? Although that has certainly not been my experience with my fellow Christians at all. And not just people, but a friend that I've been somewhat close with for seven years. Did she think I was hiding hatred just under the surface this whole time? Or did she consider me an exception to my religious brothers and sisters? Also, she called me a trad-wife four times on the way home and, I'm not sure what that was about, but I didn't rise to the bait. I have, however, gone over my arguments against that label for hours in my head since then!! I feel frustrated and unseen and misunderstood. So, while it was a good night in that we had an actual spiritual conversation in book club, I ended up feeling a little hurt. Small price to pay, I suppose.



Comments
Post a Comment