August 22, 2026 - Saturday
We got up early and headed to Marietta this morning to visit Hazel. The visit went...fine. We did finally get up the courage to ask about dad's truck and Hazel said that she's gotten a couple of offers and doesn't really know what she wants to do yet. We headed back to Columbus much earlier than we expected to. On our way out the door this morning, Jonas reminded me that I had committed to getting him to Elisha's birthday celebration this evening. There are only three guests going, so it's not like Jonas wouldn't be missed, AND he would freak out if his best friends all got to go to a birthday party and I didn't take him because I forgot about it. Anyway, I think the timing worked out well. We were all about ready for it to end. While I was there, I felt like all was well, but by the time we started driving home, the apathy started to creep in. I started to think, why are we doing this? What are we going to hold onto this relationship for? Hazel doesn't ever reach out to us, doesn't invite us over, doesn't seem to care if she maintains closeness with us. WHY BOTHER? I didn't say this to Ben, obviously. It's his stepmom and if he wants to keep up the relationship, I will do my best. He doesn't have anyone else out here anymore. Also, I feel frustrated that she is so stingy with Dennis's things. She didn't give any of his kids ANYTHING. They wanted a t-shirt or some little tchotchke to remember him by, but she wasn't ready. Yet, when we inquired about buying Dennis's truck today, she had already arranged to give it to someone else...most likely one of her children or grandchildren. It just feels unfair and hurtful. Dennis told us so many times over the years all of the things he had "written down" that he was going to leave Ben when he died, but now that he is gone, nothing at all. It's hard to figure out what the problem could be, aside from Hazel deciding she didn't want to give his things to his children. *sigh* We tried to have low expectations, honestly. We reminded ourselves over and over again that she could decide to not give anyone anything, but it still hurts that that's the path she's choosing.
We got back in time to drop Jonas at Elisha's and then I went to the ladies night at Dublin North Market. I did not enjoy it. Haha I can't really say why. It was just too overstimulating there, I think. Very overwhelming! And it was impossible to visit with anyone, really, over all of the background noise. Hated it.

Comments
Post a Comment