June 2, 2026 - Tuesday


Ben decided to go into work for a couple of hours today, but he's going to use his bereavement leave for the rest of the week. Hazel decided to have the funeral on the 19th, which everyone is a little irritated about, but we'll make the best of it. The big kids were supposed to go to Cedar Point with the Meadow Park youth group that day and going to theme parks is just not a thing we typically do, so they were really looking forward to it. It's really sad they'll miss it! But it's not okay for the kids to skip their grandfather's funeral to go either. That's just the way life is sometimes. 

Another way that life is sometimes is piling things on top of you when you already feel like you have enough going on, emotionally. My Aunt Steph called this morning and told me that grandpa Bill died yesterday. He and grandma have been married since I was in my early teens and, although he's never tried to be close to me, he was a good man and a good Christian, and I know he loved my grandma and she loved him back. It's terribly sad for her. She is almost 90 and isn't really able to live on her own anymore. I'm not sure what she's going to do. I called her this evening, and we talked for a while. She was very happy to hear from me, but very sad. She said she's not going to plan the funeral until all of her children are with her. Uncle Bill and Uncle Matt are driving out from California and should be there Sunday. For now, one of grandpa's daughters are staying with her. I know it'll be difficult, but I really think we should try to make it to his funeral, whenever it is. We have so few opportunities to see mom's side of the family and this could be the last time I ever get to see my grandma. The kids don't remember her at all. It would be good. We'll have to see if we can do it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 9, 2025 - Sunday

April 27, 2026 - Monday

May 7, 2026 - Thursday