July 4, 2026 - Saturday
Happy Independence Day! I have mixed feelings about our country. Things can be pretty gross here, politically, but I'd be a fool to not appreciate the safety, prosperity, and comfort that we have here. If I had been born nearly anywhere else, my life would not be nearly as cushy. I am grateful that I live here and I'm grateful for the life that I live here. I'm not as grateful for our current leadership or some of the sentiments that he seems to bring out, loud and proud, in some of my fellow citizens, but I won't let myself wallow in discontent when I have it SO damn good. Am I proud to be an American? Not necessarily. But am I grateful to be an American? Yes, I am.
I spent hours and hours prepping food for the cookout this afternoon. We weren't really looking forward to it, but we *kind of* were. It was nice to be included in plans, anyway. Most July 4ths, we're just kind of hanging out alone or finding another straggler family to do something with. I made a ton of potato salad, a caprese salad (with basil from my garden 🤓), and a banana pudding that was INSANE. So freaking good. I also did face paint for both of the girls and they were so excited about it! We headed out around 4 to get up to Dublin and, as we were looking for parking, it starts POURING. And it just doesn't stop. We sat in a parking lot for almost an hour, waiting for a break in the rain, then finally decided to just go eat at Jason's Deli and wait out the rain. We could still bring our food to the party afterwards. They'd all still be hungry! But, as we sat there waiting and watching the forecast, it just looked like more rain to come. We also realized that after an hour and a half of steady rain, the ground was going to be very muddy and we'd end up being wet, sticky, and uncomfortable. We decided to call it and we just went home. Friends were disappointed in us, but we were happy and dry in our pajamas, watching family movies together. The day didn't turn out how we expected, but it was not bad. We have a ton of food though. 😐


Comments
Post a Comment